Saturday, August 22, 2009

Weekly Recipe - Food for the muse

Whilst I write this blog as food for my soul, I thought that I'd share actual food for the body. One of my favorite ways to relax myself is by cooking a really great meal. Cutting vegetables or a really nice piece of meat can be every bit as therapeutic as reading a great book or screaming to the top of your lungs. Admit it. We all need to escape from our hectic day. As a stay-at-home mom and even as a working mom, I at one time hated ...absolutely dreaded cooking. It was one more task I had to endure. Now, I realize that cooking a really great meal doesn't take as much time as I thought and if I look forward to it, not only does the food taste better but I am so relaxed afterward. It helps to have a great glass of wine and someone sexy, my husband, to talk to. Actually, hubby and I have a great time cooking together.

Well,let's get this dinner party started. This isn't hard to make and doesn't take an entire evening to make either. Prepare to dazzle your loved ones and feed your muse. It's delicious so let's dig in.

First, grab a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and pour two glasses. Grab your favorite cd and your favorite man.

Bacon-wrapped Cornish Hens with Raspberry Balsamic Glaze
adapted from a recipe in The Gourmet Cookbook by Ruth Reichl
serves 8 from start to finish: 1 hour

Preheat oven to 450*

2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
16 bacon slices (about 1 pound; I use maple-flavored. It adds flair)
4(1-1/2 to 1-3/4)Cornish hens, rinsed and patted dry; Can also used full chicken thighs

salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine jam and vinegar in a small saucepan.
Simmer briskly, uncovered, stir occasionally with whisk, until reduced to about 1/2 cup.

Glaze thicken slightly as it cools.

Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450*F

Cook bacon in batched in a large skillet over moderate heat until translucent and pliable. Bacon has to be flexible for wrapping. (I actually save time by putting bacon in a microwavable casserole dish. Cover with paper towel and cook about 1 minute per slice)

Transfer bacon to paper towel to drain.

With kitchen shears, cut out the back bone from each hen and discard.

Halve lengthwise and season with salt and pepper.

Arrange skin side up in large roasting pan.

Brush hens liberally with some glaze and wrap 2 slices of bacon around each half, tuck ends under or pin with toothpicks

Roast, brushing with pan juices and glaze after 10 minutes and then after 20, until juices run clear when thigh is pierced. 30-35 minutes total.

Discard remaining glaze.

Bon Appetite. With food like this, you'll be amazed at what other creative ideas fill you palette.

1 comment:

  1. You totally skipped the whole have sex on the table since the kids are all otherwise occupied part ;)

    *evil grin*

    Awesome post m'dear. I hate cooking, but mostly because NO ONE else in the house appreciates it. Although, that has gotten better in recent years :D

    ReplyDelete